History of Hotel DuPont
Joe DiMaggio, John F. Kenney, Amelia Earhart, and Katherine Hepburn have all rested their heads within the walls of the Hotel DuPont. The hotel was commissioned by DuPont President, Pierre S. du Pont and Secretary-Treasurer, John J. Raskob. Both parties recognized a need for a first-class hotel within the limits of Wilmington, DE. Due to the growth of the DuPont company overnight accommodations and entertainment venues became a necessity in the Delaware area.
Construction on the hotel began in 1911 and added 133,400 square feet to the existing structure of the DuPont corporate headquarters. It took French and Italian craftsmen nearly two years to create this grand, European inspired hotel. The DuPont originally began as a 150 room hotel that cost an estimated $1 million to construct.
The opening day of the hotel was on January 15, 1913 and during its’ first week in business the hotel received an estimated number of 40,000 visitors. Within a five years’ time the demand for rooms quickly outgrew the hotel. Construction on a fifth section of the DuPont began in 1918 and added 118 more guest rooms and a new Ballroom Suite. The lobby was also redesigned during this time. In the 1930’s management began purchasing local artists work and the hotel now boosts its’ very own Art Collection.
Guests are sure to be satisfied with the hotel’s rich, elegant interiors and AAA 4-Diamond rating for 36 years running. The Hotel DuPont is reason enough for a trip to Wilmington, DE.